As with any ‘syndrome’ in allopathic medicine, IBS represents a combination of symptoms rather than a diagnosis with a clearly defined etiology (cause). Mayo clinic defines IBS in this way:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the large intestine (colon). Irritable bowel syndrome commonly causes cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation. IBS is a chronic condition that you will need to manage long term. More here.
The most common symptoms of IBS are:
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- A bloated feeling
- Gas Diarrhea or constipation — sometimes alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea Mucus in the stool
How Chinese Medicine Treats these conditions
The cause of digestive issue is varied and complex. At Peninsula Acupuncture we will use a combination of Eastern and Western diagnostic tools (see Lab Tests- link) to evaluate your condition.
Once correctly diagnosed may use one or all of the following modalities:
- Acupuncture: Optimize digestive function, relax spasms, relieve inflammation
- Herbs: Regulate or facilitate healthy bowel movement, relieve inflammation, support motility, or reduce hyper-motility
- Nutritional supplements: Restore and support gut or intestinal lining, improve enzymatic function, restore flora
- Dietary recommendations: Test for and eliminate inflammatory foods
- Lifestyle advice: Encourage addressing of stressors coming from work or home life. Refer out to appropriate additional resources as necessary